Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Lima Bean Dreams

Today, I picked the lima beans. It was a heavy crop, and not being able to distinguish visally the beans from the plants, it was slow going.
Gary left to fix a lawn mower- some damsel in distress- there are many.
So, there I was, middle of a beautiful early fall afternoon. Brilliant sunshine, cool breeze, crickets and locust singing; when I was suddenly transformed.....
Merle Streep, left alone in an isolated farmstead...Robert Redford driving an old pick-up truck into the driveway, looking to photograph the local scene. ( Did I mention that I now had a beer in my bean basket, sipping from time to time and enjoying every sip?)
Anyway, the daydream went on, quite pleasureably, for some time, while I stayed transfixed on the task at hand. Ended with a sweated brow and a half bushel of limas, waiting to be shelled.
It's amazing, how a movie, not so moving at the time, but given the right stimuli, could come in such a powerful way making my work much more enjoyable than it should have been.
Goodnight, Bob!

1 comment:

your favorite niece said...

I first thought the picture was of you and dad but after closer inspection I realize it was H. I have enjoyed reading with a laugh and a tear I realize just how much I miss home. I wished the farm was that exciting when I was there. I know it's the presence of you and Kenny that makes the difference. Take care till I see you again.
I need some soap.
Your favorite niece